|MissC chomping on a muffin in her trike|
How yummy are muffins?! Ok, so we know they are not great for the waist line, but darn it they are tasty!
I’ve always had a good relationship with food. I enjoy it and most of the time I don’t feel guilty! But since my little one started eating, I’ve started to look at food slightly differently. I still enjoy it, but I want to improve the nutrition/quality these days. You’d be surprised how many times I’ve removed half the sugar or butter/oil and you can’t taste the difference.
Here’s a great recipe for little tummies and it’s sugar free but still super sweet. The sweetness comes from the overripe bananas and the dates. You could skip the dates, but remember this is extra fibre which is an added bonus in most diets these days.
1 c self raising flour (white or wholemeal, whichever you prefer)
½ tsp cinnamon
5 dates, seeds removed and chopped into small pieces
3 overipe bananas, mashed
50g butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
¼ c milk
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C.
- Grease 2 x mini muffin pans or line with paper cases. (I prefer to grease so little ones don’t have to mess with paper cases, plus better for environment, right?)
- Grab a mixing bowl and mix together your flour, cinnamon and dates.
- In another bowl, squash your bananas so that they are mushy. Then add your milk, butter and eggs and stir well.
- Add your banana mix to the flour mix and stir until just combined. If you over stir your muffins will be chewy, you have been warned!
- Drop tablespoons of the batter into your muffin trays.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden.- Allow to cool on a wire rack before gobbling these down with a glass of cold milk! Mmmmm!