OH. WOW! I believe the only expression for these is... Totes amazeballs!
I've been fascinated by clean eating lately. As much as I love a good heavy meal, clean eating really speaks to me. I much prefer simple proteins and loads of veg on a day to day basis. Give me a bowl of brown rice and I'm like a pig in mud! Thinking back, I've been like this ever since I was a tiny kidlet.
I've been scouring the Internet for fun and interesting recipes and playing with some ideas of my own... And this was born!
Gluten free, sugar free, vegan and dairy free - depending on the chocolate you use.
Enjoy in moderation!
Ingredients for salted caramel
1 cup fresh dates, seeds removed
Big teaspoon of nut butter, I used cashew
Seriously good pinch of sea salt
Ingredients for choc coating
1/2 cup of broken chocolate pieces
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Using a food processor or high powered blender, pulse the dates, nut butter and salt until smooth.
- Scrape the caramel onto a sheet of baking paper and place in freezer for around 10 minutes.
- Once chilled, wet your hands and roll the caramel into 20 balls. Pop back in the freezer to firm up.
- While waiting for the caramel balls to firm up, melt the chocolate and coconut oil. (20 second bursts in the microwave work best for me)
- Roll the balls in the melted chocolate (I found stabbing a caramel ball with a toothpick helpful for this step) and place the finished "Fantale" back on he baking paper to set.
I prefer these at room temp but they are still great straight from the fridge... Or even the freezer!