live life, celebrate food, share both with those you love

Saturday 1 November 2014

Coconut Custard... My current obsession!

Wow! Over a year since my last post?! Say it ain't so... 

Since my last post I've:
- changed hairstyles
- travelled overseas
- experienced heartbreaking loss
- changed jobs
- made tons of silly decisions
- eaten tons of chocolate because of said silly decisions
- learnt to knit... much to hubby's dismay!
- and most importantly... Had another beautiful, amazing baby girl... Welcome MissE! Mama loves you!

Hmmm, guess I have been busy...

Ok, back to the important issues... FOOD!

Our family diet has switched gears for the next few weeks to Gluten Free. And honestly, it's a total pain in the butt... Yet somehow I'm enjoying it... Weirdo alert!

The sheer amount of intolerances and allergies out there is mind boggling. I know a lot of you are nodding your heads and I have a new found respect for you. I have planned every morsel that will enter our mouths for the next few weeks to ensure simplicity for all and no cheating. I cannot believe how many products contain hidden gluten, like our jar of strawberry jam in the fridge which contains wheat! Jam, in its purest form should be fruit, sugar and lemon juice - no wheat needed!!!

Let me re-iterate, unless you have a suspected or known gluten intolerance, you should not follow a gluten free diet. This is documented on all the official websites such as http://www.coeliac.org.au

There are no health benefits to following a gluten free diet (unless you have been diagnosed), you will not magically lose weight and research has proven you will do more harm then good to your body unless this diet is absolutely necessary.

Ok, ok, back to food!

Going gluten free can be hideously expensive so it's important to work with as much natural food as possible. Bearing this in mind, some of my recipes have been inspired by the Paleo diet, just because I love the minimal, natural ingredients.

Let's start with breakfast and my new obsession...  COCONUT CUSTARD!!!

Obsession is an understatement! I make s big batch of this every Sunday and have to stop myself from gobbling it the instant it's ready.

It's a very smooth, creamy custard with a mild taste of coconut. I'm using it instead of milk for cereal and making luscious breakfast trifles the night before. I always find it keeps me fuller for longer possibly due to the eggs.

Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Ingredients
2 eggs
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp sugar or agave syrup
1 can of coconut cream (mine are between 370-400ml depending on brand)
1 can of water (just fill the empty can)
1 tsp vanilla paste

Method
- Whisk the eggs, cornflour and sugar in a medium saucepan to make a smooth paste.
- Blend in the coconut cream and water. 
- Heat the custard on a medium low heat and stir slowly but constantly. You don't want it to stick and burn!
- After a few minutes the custard will thicken, don't let it boil but a bubble or two is fine.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the custard into a container and place cling film directly on the surface of the custard. This will stop a skin from forming.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days

No comments:

Post a Comment