live life, celebrate food, share both with those you love

Monday 3 June 2013

The healthiest Banana Cake recipe I can come up with!

As I mentioned in my last post, my poor little poppet has been sick for weeks. Fever, chills, a cold... all the wonderful lurgies of winter have hit her all at once.

Nobody wants to eat when they feel unwell and even though my little champ is a great eater, she's really struggling to eat much of anything at the moment.

But no one says 'no' to cake, right? :) So, I've come up with a 'cake' that I think you'll agree fits into the 'healthy' category. Stay with me, I promise it's not your usual fat and sugar laden style of cake... not that there's anything wrong with that, hahahaha!

Ingredients
1/4 c coconut oil - for good fats
1/4 cup vegetable oil - because too much coconut oil seems to dry out the batter
2 eggs - protein
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
200g plain Greek yoghurt - packed with protein
200g plain or wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c caster sugar - optional (my yoghurt is quite strong, and my bananas were a little under ripe so I needed a touch of sugar to balance out the flavor)

How to...
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and grease a round cake pan with oil or butter. I recommend lining the base with baking paper as this does seem to stick a little.
- Mix all your wet ingredients in a small bowl (oils, eggs, mashed bananas and yogurt)
- In a larger bowl, mix your flour, baking powder and sugar, if you need it.
- Pour your wet mix into your dry mix and stir until combined. You don't want to over mix or it will become tough once cooked. Once you can't see any flour, then you are done.
- Pour your batter into your pre-greased pan and smooth out.
- Bake for approx 30 mins until golden brown and the top bounces back when you gently push with your fingertip.
- Leave to sit in the pan for a few minutes, then flip onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Note: feel free to use all vegetable oil or experiment with other neutral flavored oils. Or melted butter if you're feeling naughty!


$2 for a bag of bananas - bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment